CONFLICT & NEGOTIATION MANAGEMENT IN AN ORGANISATION
Occasional workplace conflict is inevitable especially when employees of various backgrounds and different work styles are brought together for a shared business purpose. Conflict can be expressed in numerous ways such as insults, non-cooperation, bullying and anger. Its causes can range from personality clashes and misunderstood communication to organizational mismanagement.
The negative effects of workplace conflict can include work disruptions, decreased productivity, project failure,absenteeism, turnover and termination. Emotional stress can be both a cause and an effect of workplace conflict.Conflict should therefore be effectively managed and timeously resolved before it becomes a destruction. With
tensions and anxieties in the workplace, the chances for workplace conflict have increased. Conflict resolution and management positively create opportunities of personal growth and learning in the workplace.
Conflict Management plays a very important role at workplaces
as it prevents unnecessary fights and makes offices a better place
to work. By attending this training programme, delegates will
• Describing the main sources of conflict
• Describing appropriate techniques to manage conflict
• Implementing a strategy to resolve conflict
• Developing the attributes of a good conflict manager
• Define and analyse the problem
• Evaluate solutions
• Implement the solution
• Conduct negotiations to deal with conflict situations
• Prepare for negotiations;
• Conduct negotiations;
• Conclude negotiations and communicate agreements; and
• Evaluate negotiations.
Module 1 : Conflict Defined
• Inevitability of conflict
• What is conflict?
• Phases of conflict
• Different conflict situations that occur in the workplace
• Role-players in conflict situations
• Healthy and unhealthy conflict
• Conflict-provoking communication
• Conflict-provoking behaviour
Module 2: Assertive communication
• What is assertiveness?
• Assertive, aggressive or passive
• Communication and behavioural styles
• Using positive language
• Be aware of barriers to communication
• Diversity in communication
• Giving feedback assertively
• Accepting criticism
• Learn to negotiate
• How to deal with others’ communication behaviour
• Rules for direct verbal expression of anger
Module 3: Conflict management and prevention
• Conflict management styles and techniques
• Preventing conflict
• Conflict Resolution Methods
• Emotional Intelligence
Module 4: Dealing with interpersonal conflict
• The cost of “difficult” people
• It’s the difficult behaviour
• Dealing with colleagues
• Defusing hostility
• Dealing with customers
• Anger management
• Stress management
Module 5: Apply problem solving strategies
Define and analyse the problem
• The definition ensures that the problem is examined and
identified in terms of problem type, problem parameters, and
• The definition ensures that facts are collected to meet the
• The analysis ensures that problem components are identified
to determine possible courses of action
• The analysis ensures that the problem is analysed for
• The evaluation identifies possible solutions to the problem by
using a range of problem solving techniques. Includes, but is
not limited to: Brainstorming; Mapping; Computer Modelling;
Observation; Questionnaires; Experiments.
• The evaluation establishes criteria for evaluating solutions to
match the type of problem incl. Duration; Causes; Effects
• Possible solutions are evaluated against established criteria
• The evaluation ensures that solutions are selected to meet
established criteria and problem requirements includes Time;
Budget; Resources; Legislative requirements
Implement the solution.
• The implementation ensures that solutions are trialed and/ or
monitored for effectiveness of problem solution includes
Duration; Implications; Effects
• The implementation ensures that solutions are reviewed and
modified, and practices are standardised where required
includes Practices; Systems; Procedures; Records
• The implementation ensures that stakeholders are consulted
Module 6: Conduct negotiations to deal with conflict
Prepare for negotiations.
• Administrative arrangements for negotiation processes are
identified and dealt with effectively.
• The purpose of negotiation is explained and issues to be
negotiated are clearly identified and prioritised, using
• A variety of negotiation strategies and processes are
identified and explained: distributive, integrative, positional,
principled, interest-based, target-specific bargaining and
• Negotiation ranges are identified and motivated for all
• Relevant stakeholders are identified and informed about
issues to be negotiated
2 Day Training
Group discounts available on request.
Live and In-class
- This training is for everyone. For all employees, knowing how to
identify and avoid or resolve negative conflict can positively
impact efficiency and effectiveness at work. For anyone with a
direct report, knowing how to resolve conflicts is an essential skill.
- This training is for everyone. For all employees, knowing how to
- Advanced Microsoft Excel Masterclass.
- Microsoft Teams for End-Users
- Basic Microsoft Word
- Intermediate Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Outlook: 116395
- Microsoft Outlook: 116945
- Microsoft Outlook Training
- Microsoft Word
- Powerpoint 116930
- Powerpoint 116936
- Intermediate Microsoft PowerPoint
- Advanced Microsoft Powerpoint
- Advanced Microsoft Word
- Advanced Business Report Writing.
- Corporate Communication Skills.
- Effective Interpersonal Skills.
- Excellent Customer Service & Frontline Reception Skill.
- Introduction to Learn for Managers.
- Presentation Skills Programme.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making Skills in the Workplace.
- Conflict and Negotiation Management in an organization
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training