Effective Mentoring &
This course has been specifically designed to help you develop your understanding of coaching and mentoring and the benefits of using them when working in an emergency response. With this course and accompanying toolkit, the Prospen Africa team will ensure that you will be able to recognise how to structure and carry out an effective coaching or mentoring session.
This course uses scenarios to help you to build and strengthen your understanding of how to put coaching and mentoring skills effectively into practice.
This course is accredited by the ETDP Seta and material covers unit standards: 114215, NQF Level 4, 3 Credits
The concept and implementation of Mentoring and Coaching of individuals in business have grown significantly in recent years in South Africa as business recognizes the increased value of retaining and growing star performers. Regular Mentoring and coaching sessions keep individuals on track in terms of the values, vision and strategy of the business and assist in the development of people in organizations.
The broad aim of this course is to introduce participants to key knowledge, attitudes and skills pertaining to mentoring and coaching in the business environment. Upon completion of this course, you will be able to define the key concepts associated with Coaching and Mentoring and you will be able to:
- Understand the basic processes behind coaching & mentoring
- Have the ability to introduce coaching & mentoring into the organization
- Understand the benefits of coaching and mentoring in the Organization
- Identify opportunities for coaching and mentoring
- Understand the nature of the relationships that must be managed in any coaching or
- mentoring program
- Use the knowledge for the overall benefit of the organization
Module 1: Self Awareness
- Defining self-awareness
- Holistic development model
Module 2: The Journey
- What is the difference between mentoring and coaching?
- Definitions of Mentoring
- Types of mentor / coach / trainee relationships
- Coaching: What is it?
- Coaching skills
- Situational leadership
- The individual work plan – contents
- The key performance indicators
- Summary of process of setting KPI’s
- Stewardship delegation
- The case for delegation: letting go of things others can do
- Barriers to delegation
- Delegation definitions
- When not to delegate
- When is coaching not the answer?
Module 3: The Conversation
- Preparing a coaching plan
- Questioning skills
- Listening is a skill, and art and a discipline
Module 4: The Relationship
- Feedback skills
- Some criteria for useful feedback
- Receiving feedback
- Monitoring and recording the results
- The constitutional & legislative context of
- mentoring and coaching
- Roles and responsibilities of mentees
- Challenges posed by formal mentorship
Module 5: Ongoing Mentoring
- Starting with yourself
- Personal attributes required of a mentor or coach
- The values and attitudes necessary for mentors and mentees
- The roles and responsibilities of mentors
- Seven types of mentor assistance
- Getting started – How to set up, monitor and evaluate a mentorship programme
- Mentoring skills and strategy – Cross-cultural and cross-gender mentoring
- Overcoming obstacles & challenges to mentorship programmes
- Overcoming obstacles to ensure successful mentoring
- The phases of the mentoring relationship
- Mentoring success & failure factors
Module 6: Talent Management: Identifying Skills
- GAPS & DEVELOPMENT NEEDS
- Employee learning and development
- Management development
- Career development
Module 7: Record the Results of the Training Needs
- Training needs analysis
- Record the developmental needs of staff
- Relate the development needs to the career development paths
Module 8: Compile A People Development Plan for Your Proteges
- Finding the right course for the individual or team
- Talent management and people development
This programme runs for 2 days
Our Effective Mentoring & Coaching is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
R 6 899.00
*Group Discounts Available on Request.
Those in supervisory, managing or leadership roles.
- F.E.T Certificate: Business Administration Services.
- F.E.T Certificate: New Venture Creation.
- F.E.T Certificate: Project Management.
- F.E.T Certificate; Generic Management.
- National Certificate: Generic Management.
- National Certificate: New Venture Creation (SMME).
- Certificate: Municipal Financial management.
- F.E.T Certificate: Leadership Development.
- National Certificate: Local Economic Development.
- National Certificate: Public Administration.
- National Certificate: Public Administration.
- F.E.T Certificate: Public Administration.
- Occupational Certificate: Safety, Health & Quality Practitioner.