Effectively Manage Maintenance Shutdowns and Turnarounds
Shutdown Turnaround outages involve both planned and unplanned activities resulting from inspection of a machine that is not accessible or visible during normal operation. The potential for identifying previously unforeseen work requirements discovered during inspection that must be performed within the defined time constraints of the STO adds rapid troubleshooting and decision-making capabilities. The success of the shutdown lies in completing it in the shortest possible time without cost overrun and without any safety incident.
This course provides a complete step-by-step guide for managing shutdowns and turnarounds in process plants. It covers all phases of shutdowns and turnarounds, including initiation, planning, executing, controlling, and closing. It also covers many other aspects of shutdowns and turnaround management including performance evaluation and how to make it lean.
- Understand the concepts and importance and Shutdowns and Turnarounds
- How to facilitate the initiation process using tools and techniques to produce the final outputs
- The steps the Planning Team should follow to produce a detailed, overall time-based plan; not merely a work list.
- Performing Shutdown estimating; including the cost of doing the work and the time that it will take to complete it.
- Utilizing the skills and expertise of contractors’ managers, engineers, craftsmen, and buyers.
- Ordering, delivery, movement, and staging of repair parts, replacement material, and construction equipment to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the shutdown effort.
- Effective Shutdown Organisation: Identifying all key roles and, responsibilities and accountabilities
- Performing Shutdown Execution sub-phases: pre-shutdown work, shutting down, opening up and inspecting the plant.
- Apply Risk-based integrity management to find an optimal balance between asset care and business risk, hence maximizing your return.
- Assuring that potential physical, mechanical, chemical, and health hazards are recognized, and provisions are made for safe operating practices and appropriate protective measures are in place.
- Shutdown communications management to determine who needs what information and when and then produce the plan to provide the needed information.
- Shutdown Control: Tracking progress, detection of variances, evaluate problem areas, taking corrective action
- Targeting quality standards that are relevant to the shutdown work and devising a plan to meet those standards.
Module 1: Introduction to Plant Turnarounds
- Process Plant Turnarounds
- Activities during a Turnaround
- How Shutdown Is Different from Normal Plant Operation
- Why Is Shutdown/Turnaround Management So Important?
- Maintenance Philosophy
- Types of Maintenance Activities and Shutdown
- Shutdown of Key Refinery Units
- Strategic Issues: Initiation Phase, Planning Phase, Executing, Controlling, Closing
- Turnaround Evaluation: Turnaround Timeline and Generic Turnaround Timeline
Module 2: Initiating the Turnaround
- Developing a Shutdown Overview
- Strategic Plan
- Conducting a Kick-off Meeting
- Plant Turnaround History
- Current Performance
- Establish Shutdown Charter
- Scope Statement
- Appoint Shutdown Team
- Major Turnaround Milestones
- What Are the Shutdown/Turnaround Performance Criteria?
Module 3: Planning
- Job of Planning Team
- Planning Step One: Developing the Shutdown Work List: Work Scope, Shutdown Jobs and Tasks, Work Breakdown Structure
- Planning Step Two: Identify Task Relationships, Calculating the Critical Path
- Planning Step Three: Manpower Strategic Planning
- Planning Step Four: Estimate Work Packages
- Planning Step Five: Calculate an Initial Schedule
- Planning Step Six: Assign and Level Resources
- Planning Step Seven: Develop Procurement Plan
- Planning Step Eight: Develop Quality Plan
- Planning Step Nine: Develop Communications Plan
- Planning Step Ten: Develop Risk Plan
- Master Equipment List, Work Scope and Prioritization
- Tools and Equipment, Materials, Time, Labour, Safety, Quality, Cost
Module 4: Estimating
- What Is an Estimate?
- Methods for Estimating Activity Duration
- Estimating Activity Durations
- Estimating Resource Requirements
- Estimating Duration as a Function of Resource Availability
- Estimating Cost
- What Is the Cost Baseline?
- Estimating Pitfalls
- Cost Budgeting and Control
Module 5: Shutdown Contract Management
- What Is a Contract?
- Scope of a Contract
- Parties to a Contract
- Contractors and Subcontractors
- Selection of Contractor Work Packages
- Prequalification and Contractor Selection
- Managing Vendors and Contractors
- Logistics Management and Control
Module 6: Shutdown Organization
- What Is Involved in Effective Shutdown Organization?
- Essentials of a Turnaround Team
- Turnaround Steering Committee
- Determination of the Skills Needed
- Shutdown Manager’s Skill Requirement: Communication, Organizational, Problem Solving, Leading, Influencing,
- Team Leader and Team Member roles
Module 7: Executing the Shutdown
- Kick-off Meeting
- Job Status Update
- Daily Schedule
- Reporting Status
- Tracking Shutdown Costs
Module 8: Pre-shutdown Job
- Long-Delivery Items
- End-of-Run Monitoring of Plant
- Tagging and Marking
- Accommodation and Facilities
- Safety Training
- Employing Barricades
- Special Machines
Module 9: Inspection of Equipment
- Risk-Based Inspection
- Role of Non-destructive Testing (NDT) in RBI-Driven Integrity Assurance Process
- Inspection of Equipment
- Visual Inspection
- Detailed Internal Inspection
- Thermocouple Connections
- External and Internal Inspection of: Columns, Vessels
Heat Exchangers, Tube Bundle, Refractory Pressure Safety Valves
- Inspection during Fabrication of New Piping
- External Corrosion
- Approaches for Other Equipment Types
- Predictive Maintenance or Condition Monitoring
Module 10: Shutdown Safety
- Hazardous Chemicals and Catalysts
- Health and Hygiene Hazards
- Common Hazards
- Fire and Explosion
- Confined Spaces
- Confined Space Entry and Vessel Ventilation
- Airborne Contaminants
- Personal Fall Protection
- Falling Objects
- Eye Protection
- Slip and Trip Hazards
- Proper Storage of Gas/Air Cylinders
- Safety Planning and Preplanning
- Evaluation and Selection of Contractors and Subcontractors
- Evaluation and Selection Strategy
- Safe Work Practices and Procedures
- Evaluation of Job-Related Hazards
- Control Strategy
- Promotion of Safety and Health Awareness in the Workplace
- Safety Department
- Emergency Warning System and Procedures
- Safety Promotion Progra
Module 11: Communication Package
- Methods of Communicating
- Conducting Meetings
- Communication for Success
Module 12: Shutdown Control
- What Are You Actually Controlling?
- What Are the Baselines?
- Measuring Progress
- Progress Reporting System
- Analysing the Schedule
- Control Process
- Change Management
Module 13: Quality Plan
- Shutdown Quality
- Deliverable Quality
- Planning Quality
- What Needs to Be Checked?
- Developing Checklists
- Quality Assurance during Shutdown in a Process Plant
Module 14: Risk in Shutdown
- Why Risk Analysis Is Necessary?
- What Is Risk Management?
- What Are the Basic Steps in Risk Management?
- What Is Risk Identification?
- What Is Risk Quantification?
- What Are Risk Response Strategies?
- Develop Response Plans
- Why Do We Have Two Separate Reserves to Take Care of the Risks?
- Risk Control
- Using a Risk Profile
- Historical Records
Module 15: Joint Integrity
- Managing Integrity
- Major Causes of Joint Leakage
- Corrective Action for Guideline and Responsibility Deficiencies
- Plant Staff Technical Knowledge Related to Leak Repair
- Historical Records of Leaks and Maintenance
- Historical Records of Corrective Action
- Joint Assembly Procedure
Module 16: Commissioning
- Systematic Commissioning Planning and Critical Path Network
- Mechanical Completion and Integrity
- Punch Listing
- Detailed Pre-commissioning Execution Plan
- System Cleaning
- Equipment Run-In
- Pre-commissioning of Field Instrumentation
- Control System Commissioning
- Electrical System
- Pre-commissioning and Commissioning Manuals
- What to Do in Checklist
- Process Commissioning: Manpower Deployment
- Commissioning and Start-Up Period
- Minimum Facilities before Start-Up
- Pre-Start-Up Safety Review (PSSR)
- Customized Testing and Acceptance Methodologies
- Sequence of Commissioning: Utilities, List of Items in Checklist before Start-Up
- Equipment Operating Procedures: Centrifugal Pumps
- Preliminary Checks for Start-Up
- Pump Start-Up
- Normal Check-Up of Pumps
- Positive Displacement Pumps: Start-Up and Shutdown
- Heat Exchangers: Taking Over and Commissioning of a Heat Exchanger
Module 17: Post-shutdown Review
- Contract and Administrative Closure
- Post-evaluation Report
- Safety/Environmental Performance and Procedures
- Contractor Performance, Schedule Compliance, Work Assignments and Execution
- Final Report on the Shutdown
- Lesson Learned Session
- Performance Measure: Success
- Lean Shutdowns: Cut Waste Wisely from Your Outages
This workshop runs for 3 days
Our Effectively Manage Maintenance Shutdowns and Turnarounds is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
Designed for any maintenance environments including mines, refineries, power plants, airports, factories and facilities.
Shutdowns affect both operations and engineering. Participants can include:
- Anyone involved in Shutdowns
- Maintenance Managers
- Production Managers
- Reliability Facilitators
- Project Engineers
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training