GOC Lean Maintenance Planning And Scheduling
Effective & Reliable (Lean) Maintenance is no longer optional to be competitive in the fast pace global business world. Lean planning and scheduling contribute significantly to the following:
- Reduced maintenance cost. Avoiding over insurance on outdated equipment/assets.
- Improved utilization by reducing the effects of the 3 demons; defects; delays and deviations.
- Waste elimination and cost reductions due to “uptime” (first time right).
- Improved people and motivation leading to internal & external customer satisfaction.
- Improved management & leadership; resulting in greater team effectiveness.
- Improved quality of maintenance work regarding man; machine; methods & materials.
- Inventory reduction and production improvement in TAKT time; Cycle time; and Standard time.
This uniquely developed course focuses on waste elimination; equipment reliability; FMEA; Planning; Scheduling and Shutdown Management. Our comprehensive soft copy templates are Excel & Kaizen based and introduces you to best practice maintenance planning and scheduling methods. Delegates bring their laptops; upload over 20 templates, work on them in groups; and leave the training empowered to go and implement in their workplace. Laptops require Windows 2003 – 10 and only basic knowledge of Excel; WORD and Power Point. All templates are provided on a memory stick. They are simplified and easy to use during and after by the delegates.
The objectives of this course include an understanding of:
- History; present and future of maintenance.
- What is lean maintenance – video and group work.
- The 12 types of maintenance as developed by the facilitator.
- The Purpose and Role of Maintenance Planning and Scheduling; including practical’s.
- Planning and Maintenance Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Maintenance Effectiveness Indicators (MTBF; ME; MTTR etc.)
- The Maintenance Planning Work Process.
- Standardizing Planning and Scheduling Procedures.
- Equipment Refurbishment Decisions and Costs.
- Elements of Sound Scheduling.
- Staging Parts and Tools; What, Where and Who to stage, the process of staging; group work and exchanging ideas.
- Work Scheduling & Job Sequencing group discussions.
- Manpower Scheduling and Resources Scheduling.
- Measurement of Maintenance effectiveness with Metrics.
- The People Side of Planning; 12 Motivation tips.
- Specific Planning Advice to go along with a CMMS database.
- Effective Shutdown Execution; examples out of industry.
- The Overall Objectives of this course includes:
- Minimizing the idle time (tool time) of maintenance workers.
- Maximizing the efficient use of work time, material, and equipment; out with the old and in with the new.
- Maintaining the operating equipment at a responsive level to the need of production in terms of delivery schedule and quality. Aid production to achieve TAKT and Cycle
- Determine the correct load on machines and equipment – eliminate overload or under load. This leads to a correct make or buy decision on the strategic management level.
- Use maintenance as an effective method of cost reduction and improving uptime. Maintenance saves money.
- Make the entire facility more efficient in all areas.
- Practical exercises of the different tools to help delegates find the methods that are the easiest for them or those that work. best under certain conditions (Project Management Tools)
- Shutdown Management
- Overview of Shutdown Management
- Conditions for Successful Shutdowns
- Shutdown work identification
- Shutdown work scope
- Pre-shutdown work
- Sources of shutdown work
- General shutdown checklist
- Basic Excel Templates – Various
- Gantt; PERT; Budget; Fault Reports; RCA etc.
- The ratio of theory to practical is: 30% theory; 70% practical; including working on soft copies
- Case Studies will be provided and worked through with delegates in a separate workbook supplied
DAY 1: MAINTENANCE; FAILURE; RELIABILITY; ASSET MANAGEMENT:
Maintenance A – Z:
- What is maintenance? History; Present; Future.
- What is lean maintenance?
- What Planning mainly is and what it is not.
- The author has developed solutions to the 12 most critical wastes using a combination of the Toyota Production System; Kaizen and Lean.
- Quality and Productivity; Effectiveness and Efficiency; the author has developed easy to use control tools (Excel).
- Desired Level of Effectiveness including the OEE; MTTR; MTBF; MA calculations.
- Weibull lifespan and failure prediction.
Maintenance Objectives and Methodologies
- The purpose and objectives of Maintenance explained in relation to the entire business.
- The Purpose and Role of Maintenance Planning and Scheduling; considering factors such as capacity; utilization & Overall Equipment Effectiveness.
- Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA).
- Reliability basics and easy calculations.
- Downtime analysis examples.
- Standardization of all maintenance work.
Strategic Importance of Planning Maintenance
- The Asset Management ‘Journey’
- Choosing a Maintenance Methodology
- Plant and Equipment Life Cycle, Life Cycle Costs / Life Cycle Profits / Value depreciation
- Equipment Conditions monitoring (trend analysis) practice on Excel sheets.
- Consideration of Preventive Maintenance, Predictive Maintenance, and Project Work
- Condition-based Maintenance – 5 Senses.
- Benefits of Work Planning & Scheduling
DAY 2: MAINTENANCE PLANNING:
Maintenance Planning and Measurements:
- What is maintenance planning?
- Maintenance Performance Prediction Indicators
- Equipment Performance Indicators.
- The job description of a maintenance planner.
- Job Quality Indicators – What is QC; QA and QM
The Work Planning Process
- Work Order System; Scoping a Job
- PDCA Excel exercises: Prepare the resources
- Engineering Assistance or Reassignment
- Work Order Form; Coding Work Orders
- Estimating Work Hours and Job Duration
- Purchasing, Storeroom, reserving, and staging
- Special tools; jigs and innovations.
DAY 3: SCHEDULING
Principles of Scheduling
- Skills required for Scheduling
- Site Investigation & Failure History
- The critical path (CPM)
- Bar Charts & Gantt Charts
- Resource smoothing – PERT Calculation
- Managing the Critical Path
- Weekly Scheduling
- Forecasting work hours
- Sorting work orders
- Allocating work orders
- Formal Weekly Schedule Meeting
- Staging Parts and Tools; What, Where and
- Who to stage, the process of staging
- Key concepts in scheduling for outages & Planning work orders for outages
- Quotas, Benchmarks, and Standards Addressed
- The Scheduling Meeting
- Work Request for a Planned coverage
- The 12 steps to successful scheduling
This workshop runs for 3 days
Our GOC Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
This course is designed for a wide audience:
- Maintenance Artisans: Ready for promotion
- Maintenance Supervisors: Realize their critical role at implementation level and cooperation with others
- Maintenance Managers: Interfacing with all other departments for scarce resources. Support from a team point of view in production; logistics and plant facilities
- Logistics Supervisors & Mangers: In order to recognize the importance of critical spares; tools and equipment and agree on a level of safety stock and critical spares
- Plant Managers: They are frustrated with machine downtime and poor motivation; maintenance – the solution to capacity; availability and utilization (OEE).
- Plant Engineers: They are in the position to design out repetitive errors by innovation and creativity.
- Maintenance Planners: They need to realize the importance of effective communication and be aware of who; what; when; how; why regarding shut downs and preventative Maintenance. The author developed 12 maintenance types which works well in all industry types.
- Management Information staff: Understand the role of CMMS in maintenance; difficult to balance
- Project managers: Modern maintenance is done as projects and many templates provided come out of PM.
- Risk Management Professionals: The importance of care of physical assets and incident and accident preventions by evaluating equipment unsafe acts and unsafe conditions including sheets and videos.
Financial Controllers: They must plan the future budgets and strategies going forward and need to know what we have and what not. Is the MRP system accurate? Why not? Why is critical spares not available?
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training