Budgeting In Government With An Emphasis On SCOA
JHB | 30 Oct - 02 Nov 2023
The skill program aligns with the unit standard titled “Prepare budgets for a specific sector” (US: 120302) at NQF Level 6, carrying 15 credits.
Portfolio Of Evidence: To achieve competence in these unit standards, the learner must undergo assessment by a registered assessor and demonstrate competency in the following Formative Assessment and Summative Assessment.
- Applying knowledge and understanding of the South African legislative framework for budgeting processes.
- Evaluating budgeting processes and procedures.
- Managing budgetary processes and data to ensure that they comply with timeframes, integrated planning and legislative requirements.
- Recommending and advising on the roles and responsibilities of role players in the budgetary process.
- Prepare and compile the budget in line with policy initiatives and prescribed amounts.
- By understanding SCOA, participants will be better positioned to make informed budgetary decisions aligned with national priorities.
- Attendees will gain skills to ensure that budgeting and reporting are compliant with SCOA standards, leading to cleaner audits and increased trust from stakeholders.
- Participants will be familiar with the future directions in public financial management and potential changes to SCOA, positioning them to adapt swiftly to new developments.
Introduction and Foundations
- Welcome and Overview
- Introduction of participants and facilitators
- Expectations and objectives for the training
Government Budgeting in South Africa: Background
- A brief history of public finance management in South Africa
- Key legislation guiding public financial management: PFMA, MFMA
Overview of the Budgeting Process
- Budget formulation, execution, monitoring, and evaluation
- Budget cycles: planning, approval, implementation, and evaluation
- Introduction to SCOA: Purpose and background
- The importance of SCOA in ensuring transparency, accountability, and efficient resource allocation
- The seven segments of SCOA: Project, Fund, Region, Responsibility, Objective, Item, and Ledger
Coding and Classification
- The logic and importance of SCOA coding
- Practical exercises on coding
SCOA and Budget Preparation
- How SCOA impacts the budget preparation phase
- The importance of alignment and accurate coding
- Case study: Developing a mock budget using SCOA principles
Budget Execution, Monitoring, and SCOA Compliance
Implementing the Budget
- Steps and best practices
- The role of different stakeholders in budget execution
Budget Monitoring and SCOA
- How SCOA assists in budget monitoring
- Tools and techniques for effective budget monitoring
Budget Variance and Reporting
- Identifying and addressing budget variances
- Using SCOA for accurate financial reporting
- Analysing budget reports and ensuring SCOA compliance
SCOA in the Broader Context & Wrap Up
Integrating SCOA with Other Systems
- How SCOA complements other governmental systems
- Ensuring interoperability
Auditing and SCOA
- How auditors use SCOA for financial oversight
- Ensuring clean audits through SCOA compliance
Auditor General ‘s comments on budgeting and SCOA
- Strength, Weakness & Auditors recommendations
Future of Budgeting and SCOA
- Trends and innovations in public financial management
- Potential future changes to SCOA
Feedback and Recommendations
- Opportunities for improvement in SCOA implementation
- Feedback on the training and how it can be improved for future sessions
This workshop runs for 4 days
Price per Delegate: R 10 999.00
Price per Delegate:(2 or more Delegates): R9 699.00
Our Budgeting In Government With An Emphasis On SCOA is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
- Finance Practitioners
- Procurement Practitioners
- Supply chain professionals
- Facilities Managers
- Procurement Committee Members
- Finance Committee Members
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training