To Managing Records:
Pragmatic Approach To Managing Records: From The Manual Filing Systems to Electronic Records Management Systems
Information Technology is the foundation of doing business in the 21st century. Communication and transactions in organizations have become electronic and so has relationships between organizations and their clients. To this end, an increasing number of records are born digital. These new ways of doing business necessitate that organizations should implement compatible electronic systems to capture, maintain, use, and eventually disposed these records. However, electronic systems can also be overwhelming
This is a non-Accredited course.
Our observation as Prospen Africa, is that many organizations have rushed into implementing electronic recordkeeping systems without proper planning. They have implemented electronic recordkeeping systems which are either underutilized or not utilized at all. It is our view that decision-makers in organizations should be in a position to make the right decisions regarding the selection and implementation of electronic recordkeeping systems. Poor choices may lead to waste of valuable time, resources, and capital. A successful electronic records management system hinges more on an effective manual filing system. This Course sets out an effective and practical approach for the management of paper records as well as the implementation of electronic records management solutions. It is aimed at empowering practitioners to manage this transition from a predominantly paper environment to a digital one with ease.
After attending this course delegates will be able-
- to distinguish between a record and a document
- to distinguish between different types of records
- manage a registry
- develop and implement a file plan
- to define the concepts of appraisal and disposal
- Understand the legislative framework for records disposal
- to understand the record lifecycle concept
- to apply for a disposal authority
- to appraise records
- to develop a records retention schedule
- to develop a records inventory
- to systematically dispose records in line with the law
- Implement an electronic records management system
DAY 1 PROGRAMME
Introducing records management
- What is a record?
- Differences between a record and a document
- Differences between records management, information management, and knowledge management
- The lifecycle of a record
- Different categories of records
- Records management terminology
- The benefits of sound records management
The Regulatory Framework for Records Management
- The Municipal Finance Management Act (Act No. 56 of 2003)
- The Public Finance Management Act (Act No. 1 of 1999)
- The National Archives and Records Services Act (NARS)
- The Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA)
- The Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (ECTA)
- The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI)
- The Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA)
- The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act (No. 4 of 2013)
Introduction to a file plan
- Origin of a File Plan
- Composition of a File Plan
- Attributes of an Effective File Plan
Designing, implementing, and maintaining a file plan
- Basic Requirements of a Good File Plan
- Necessity of an Effective File Plan
- NARS Standards
DAY 2 PROGRAMME
Using a file plan to manage correspondence records
- Differences between a subject filing system and a case filing system
- Using a file plan to classify records
- Using a file plan to describe records
- Using a file plan to arrange records
Managing an effective Registry system
- Registry: to centralize or not to centralize
- Physical location of a registry
- Lay-out of a registry
- Services rendered by the Registry
- The duties of different registry officials
- Receipt of post, parcels, and remittance/transferable items
- Filing of post
- Circulation of and search of files
- Processing of outgoing post
- Movement of files
- Closure and termination of files and “other records”
- Maintenance of control registers
- Use of daily files
Prerequisites for the implementation of a file plan:
- Determining the Management Model
- Developing supporting policies and procedures
- Developing records standards
- Securing resources
- Circulating the procedures, standards, and the
- file plan
- Conducting a change management and training programme
- Gaining control of your terminated records
Managing an office-based _ling systems (PAs, Office Managers/Administrators, Secretaries):
- Classifying your records
- Creating File Categories
- Colour Coding
- Label Making
- Filling Your Drawer
- Archiving your records
Control registers and a good ling system
- Types of control registers
- The benefits of control registers
- Formats of control registers
DAY 3 PROGRAMME Records Management Systems
Introduction to Electronic Document and Records Management Systems
- What is Electronic Document Management System (EDMS)
- What is Electronic Records Management System (ERMS)
- What is Electronic Records Management System (EDRMS)
- What is Enterprise Content Management (ECM) System?
- Electronic documents and records management systems
- The advantages of managing records electronically
- The risks associated with managing records electronically
International Records Management Standards and Electronic Records
- ISO 15489-1:2001
- S. Department of Defence standard 5015.2
- The National Archives in the UK’s functional
- requirements for electronic records management software market (1999 and 2002)
- The European Commission’s “MoReq,” the
- Model Requirements for Electronic Records and Document Management in 2001.
- The National Archives of Australia (NAA)’s Functional Specifications for Electronic Records Management Systems Software (ERMS).
- Archives New Zealand’s ‘discretionary best practice’
- Electronic Recordkeeping Systems Standard (Standard 5)
Types of Electronic Records
- Data sets
- Text based documents
- Multimedia documents
- Multidimensional documents
The Requisite Infrastructure for Electronic Records Management Systems
- Dedicated server
- Power supply
- Technical support
- Back-up facilities
Approaches to implementing Electronic Records Management Systems
- On-premises software
- Software as a service (SaaS)
- Hybrid solution
DAY 4 PROGRAMME
Metadata management and Electronic Records Management Systems
- What is metadata
- Why metadata management
Proprietary Software and Free Open-Source Software
- What is proprietary software?
- Advantages and disadvantages of proprietary software
- Popular proprietary software brands
- What is free open-source software?
Model Requirements (MoReq) for Electronic Records and Document Management A:
- Dedicated server
- Document classification
- Built-in File Plan
- Digital signatures
- Quality management
- Paper records Management
Model Requirements (MoReq) for Electronic Records and Document Management B:
- Web-site management
- E-mail management
- Metadata management
- Audit trail
Model Requirements (MoReq) for Electronic Records and Document Management C:
- Version control
- Scanning and imaging
- Back-up and recovery
- Long-term format
- Disposal of records
- Managing technologies
- Storing technologies
- Preserving technologies
- Capturing technologies
- Delivering technologies
ECM application types explained:
- Simple document management
- Basic document management
- Complex document management
DAY 5 PROGRAMME
Tender 398 in context
- Class A solutions
- Class B solutions
- Class C solutions
Best approach for the implementation of an Electronic Document and Records Management System:
- Complementary assets
- Records Management Policy Framework
- Conducting a survey
- Developing a Business Case
- Determining Business requirements
- Determining Functional requirements
- Selecting a system
- Configuring a system
- Monitoring a system
Information Security for Electronic Records
- What is information security
- Why information Security
- Risks associated with electronic records
- Security measures for electronic records
Counter Disaster Planning for Records
- What is Disaster preparedness
- What is Business Continuity
- What is Disaster Recovery
- Developing and implementing a practical Counter Disaster Strategy
Appraisal and disposal of Records:
- When to appraise records?
- Who should appraise records?
- When to dispose records
This workshop runs for 5 days
Training times can be arranged accordingly in order to cater for the client’s needs.
Available on request.
- Records management practitioners
- Work study/organizational development officers
- Registry clerks
- Officer administrators
- Security specialists
- Legal officers
- IT specialists
- Monitoring and evaluation specialists
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training