RCM: Reliability Centered Maintenance
Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) is a process to ensure that maintenance tasks are managed and performed efficiently, cost-effective, reliable, and safe. This highly interactive course is designed to build global-best-practice-knowledge regardless of the attendees’s starting point.
The goal of this course is to present attendees with the knowledge to understand, learn, establish, and implement a World Class RCM Program. Delegates will be introduced to the powerful RCM methodology and use instructor-led scenarios as a fast-tracked method of learning how to interact with the RCM process. They will understand how reliability engineering is practically applied and used to achieve equipment reliability, growth and optimise your Asset Maintenance Management Strategy.
By attending this course, delegates will be able to understand the following:
- The meaning of Due Process, Diligence and Standard of Care in the context of physical asset management
- How to select systems for Reliability and Risk improvement
- Selecting team members for a Reliability and Risk Analysis Project
- Identifying functions and appropriate performance standards
- Defining the failed status of a system and identify likely failure modes and mechanisms
- How to analyse the effects of failure modes and grade the consequence of failure in terms of type, severity and probability for risk assessment
- Associating a failure mode with a failure pattern and probability Bath-tub Curve
- How to use the decision diagram to select the most appropriate failure management policy
- Recording the analysis and decision making process & Preparing the results of the analysis for audit review
- Specifying routine maintenance tasks and setting standards for scheduling and execution
- How to implement decisions in the CMMS
- The role of Root Cause Analysis in failure management processes
- Monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of failure management policies
MODULE 1: PRINCIPLES OF RELIABILITY CENTERED MAINTENANCE
- Reliability Key Terms
- Why is Reliability Important
- Principles Underlying RCM:
- Corrective maintenance (CM) actions
- Definition and Objectives of RCM
- What is Risk and Risk Management?
- Duties of a Reliability Engineer
- Life Cycle Concepts
- Tools and Techniques for the Study of Reliability
- Maintenance Strategies
MODULE 2: WHERE TO START
- Plant/equipment decomposition
- Functional locations
- Criticality grading
- Performance gap analysis
- Short list of systems to review and boundary determination
- Develop a company specific risk grading matrix
- Practical: Perform Risk Assessment
MODULE 3: RISK MANAGEMENT
- Types of risks
- Operational and Financial Risks
- Safety, Health and Environmental
- Hidden failure, Quantification
- Practical: Perform Risk Analysis
- Risks Assessment
- Severity/consequence assessment
- Probability/likelihood assessment
- Grading of Risk: Develop a company specific risk grading matrix
- Practical: Perform Risk Assessment
MODULE 4: BASIC FAILURE MODES AND MECHANISMS
- Introduction to Failure & consequence of failure
- Basic Renewal Theory & The Nature of Failure & Failure Mechanisms
- Attrition and Fracture inducing mechanisms
- Disassembly, misalignment, chemical breakdown and decay
- Temperature, flow, pressure, humidity, temperature shock, etc.
- Policy selection risk criteria
- Human factors including physiological, psychological, anthropometric
- The six failure probability density curves
- Pareto Analysis – / Principles
- Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Failure Rate and Reliability Curves
MODULE 5: RISK BASED MAINTENANCE STRATEGIES/TACTICS/ POLICIES
- Risk based policy Decision Making Diagram
- Types of Preventive Maintenance and how to select appropriate intervals
- Types of Condition Based Maintenance and how to determine the PF interval
- Function testing/failure finding and how to determine the interval
- One-time changes to improve reliability: Physical, Procedural, Human capability and Maintainability
- Risk tolerance and residual risk
- Determine residual risk
- Practical: Select and define appropriate – maintenance policies/tactics/strategies
MODULE 6: SELECT MAINTENANCE TASKS
- Maintenance Program Content
- Organisation and Management of the Maintenance Function
- Selecting suitable maintenance tasks
- Work Classification and Prioritization
- Optimising / determining maintenance intervals
- The RCM Principles & Elements
- Mechanical Equipment Care Standards to Set, Use and Keep Using
MODULE 7: THE 9 STEPS OF RCM
- The 9 Steps of RCM
- Metrics Development Process
- Balanced Scorecard
- Data Collection and Data Quality
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Setting up Risk and Reliability analysis projects
- Selection of team members and the role of the facilitator
- Selecting and setting up the review projects
- Obstacles to the process and how to overcome them
- Auditing the decision making
- Implementing the results
This workshop runs for 3 days
Our RCM: Reliability Centered Maintenance is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
This course is designed for any professional who wants to study and perform asset reliability at a higher level Delegates that will highly benefit from this course include:
- Reliability managers and Engineers
- Plant and Manufacturing managers
- Asset Managers, Facility Managers
- Storeroom managers, technicians
- Continuous Improvement managers
- Maintenance Artisans, Supervisors, Planners & Managers
- Logistics Supervisors & Managers
- Project managers and supervisors
- Risk Management Professionals
- Financial Managers
- Quality assurance and control professionals
- Operations & maintenance personnel
- Health, safety, and environmental professionals
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training