Root Cause Analysis Tools And Techniques
Root Cause Analysis is a tried and tested method of identifying, analyzing and solving problems. There are many unique tools and methods available. This can be a challenge. What tool will work in your company? Which method is suited to your business environment? Are your current tools effective?
- The aim of this course is to provide supervisors and managers exposure to different options to consider.
- A list of the top 20 RCA tools available.
- Hard copy templates that are filled in each day.
- A sample Power Point presentation template.
- A3 report and 8D report template to choose.
- Depending on the tool selected; the delegate can prepare his/her practical exercises which can be presented to management if required.
- Delegates are introduced to maintenance, production; quality and supply chain analysis opportunities via the facilitator and team members. Group work and case studies are done.
- All tools are simplified and user friendly.
The course can be done manual or soft copy.
Understanding the 5 types of RCA:
Each type is explained, using examples as a group work activity.
- Health & Safety:
- Incident/accident report.
- Risk Matrix.
- Kaizen – waste identification
- Lean manufacturing – resource utilization
- The 7 tools of quality
- Maintenance & Engineering:
- Supply Chain Management:
- Supplier evaluation
- Value engineering
Understanding the human analysis tools available:
- Psychometric tools: Industrial psychology.
- Why do people make mistakes?
- What is motivation? How to motivate.
- Solutions to human errors with examples.
RCA tools and short exercises:
- Mind mapping: Group creativity techniques.
- TRIZ: A Russian method with a design focus
- Kepner & Tregoe: IS/IS NOT Analysis
- Change analysis
- Barrier analysis
- OCCAMS Razor
- Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Fault Tree and Logic Gates
- Scientific experiments
- Destructive testing
- What Would X do?
- Poka Yoke
- Condition Based Maintenance
- Condition Monitoring tools
- Incident/Accident report (WORD template)
- Clinical trials and scientific experiments
- FRACAS: Reporting template for consideration
Selecting suitable tools
- Match the top 20 tools to business environment.
- Select a combination of tools that could work.
- Do a practice run hard or soft copy as preferred.
Implementing the correct tool to use:
- 5W2H hard copy
- SMART hard copy
- Excel tools:
- Check sheet
- Scatter diagram
- Control chart
- Investigator Progress Chart (Spider Graph)
- Other implementation tools:
- Corrective Action Report
- A3 report
- 8D report
- Redesign on “bad actors”. RCM methods.
- IS/IS NOT report
- RCA Lead Investigator Checklist
- RCA Lead Investigator Report Form (Summarized)
- FRACAS (Short sample only)
- Project Management methods
Preparing for the RCA & Motivations
- Select the RCA team members.
- Select the lead auditor and facilitator.
- Set up the interview facility.
- Use many investigation methods.
- Write a detailed report and submit evidence.
- Write and implement the solution(s).
The following are example type of problems that the delegate can choose to analyze:
- Engineering: Design errors; equipment lifespan.
- Maintenance: Machine reliability. Failures
- Production: Waste elimination. Reworks.
- Quality: Reduce customer returns.
- Logistics: Reduce supply or storage problems.
- HR: Staff training & motivation.
- Civils: Leaks, cracks; drainage; plant extensions.
- Kaizen: Improvement of “bad actors” areas.
- TPM: Work cell area 5S implementation.
- Any specific problem areas assigned by management to the delegate and the facilitator.
This training Programme runs for 3 days
Available on request.
Our Root Cause Analysis Tools & Techniques is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
This course is suited to novice and experienced managers.
- The novice is introduced to the many tools and methods available. He/she can learn the best options going forward. It is better to make informed decisions.
- The experienced manager revises his/her current tools and methods and judges their effectiveness. It is good to compare current methods and look for upgrades.
This has huge benefits for both the employee and plant performance. Using the right tools and methods ensures that the RCA is done right the 1st time.
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training