Basic Road Construction Principles - Road Layers, Storm Water Drainage and Road Maintenance
This training provides foundational knowledge for professional road construction work, and serves as a gateway to further study. It will teach students how to think critically about the selection of materials and construction methods for a variety of road facilities. Additionally, the unit will impart specialised technical and creative skills pertinent to present and future professional practise.
The overview of Road Layers, Storm Water Drainage and Road Maintenance will provide the student with both the practical and theoretical knowledge of the practices, procedures and equipment necessary for road construction.
By attending this training course, delegates will be able to understand:
• The South African transport network & roleplayers
• Basic terms and words used in road construction
• Various types of layers and their functions.
• The binding agents that are most commonly used in the construction industry
• The premix asphalt surfacing process
• Road construction steps & methods for Gravel and Asphalt roads
• Role of road maintenance in the broad context of provision, classification and cost-effective applications
• The importance of adequate drainage and the effects on road maintenance
• Fundamental safe working practices, identification and use of protective clothing and equipment
• Applications and preparations to paint road symbols using a spray gun
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO ROAD CONSTRUCTION
- Role players in Road Construction in South Africa
- Types of Road According to Usage
- Definition of road pavement structure
- Stable sub-layers and subgrade
- Adequate water drainage
- Bridge construction
- The Road Reserve
- Road Drainage Concepts
- Road Worker Job Description & Function
MODULE 2: THE ROAD CONSTRUCTION PROCESS & METHODS
- Road construction Process Overview
- Road construction methods, including:
– Asphalt road construction
– Concrete road construction
– Water-bound macadam road construction
– Murram road construction
– Earth road construction
– Gravel road construction
MODULE 3: GRAVEL ROADS CONSTRUCTION OVERVIEW
- Preparation of gravel roads
- Clearing the pathway for the road
- Preparation of roadbed (sub grade)
- Construction procedure sub grade preparation
- Tipping and treatment of gravel stockpiles along road
- Addition of compaction water
- Placing of steel side forms (shutters)
- Placing of the layer
- Compaction of layer
- Pave only when ready
MODULE 4: ASPHALT ROADS CONSTRUCTION OVERVIEW
- What is Asphalt?
- Asphalt Properties & Uses
- General Guidelines for Asphalt Construction
- General Equipment for Asphalt Road Construction
- Preparation of surface & paving asphalt mixtures
- Paver tractor and screed units
- Placement of reinforcement
- Road Construction Techniques
- Construction Staking
- Clearing and Grubbing of the Road Construction Area
MODULE 5: ROAD MAINTENANCE
- The objectives of Road Maintenance
- Road Maintenance activities: routine, recurrent, periodic & urgent
- Road Surface Maintenance
- Emergency Storm Response
- Methods to repair gravel roads
- Types of asphalt road surface distress
- Steps for Surface patch repairs for potholes
- Detour Roads
- Access Roads
- Maintenance of Traffic
MODULE 6: PAINTING ROAD SYMBOLS
- Types of Road Symbols
- Material, Paints and Colour requirements
- What is Road Marking paint
- Instructions for applying road markings
- Pavement Marking Removal methods
- Safety guidelines when painting roads
MODULE 7: SAFETY PRACTICES FOR WORKERS
- Road construction and Maintenance hazards
- Safety Policies & Procedures for road workers
- Use of road signs in road construction and maintenance
- Flagging guidelines
This workshop runs for 2 – 3 days
Our Basic Road Construction Principles is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
This training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
• Persons who wish to broaden their knowledge, understanding of aspects of road construction and maintenance
• Municipal workers out of various sections who must start to understand road construction & maintenance
• Civil Consulting Engineers/Technicians
• Construction Inspectors and Supervisors
• Road Maintenance Supervisors
• Relevant Government employees/departments
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training