Root Cause Analysis - Advanced Problem-Solving
Over the course of this three-day event, delegates will develop the abilities needed to put an efficient and scalable RCA problem-solving approach into practise. Delegates will be introduced to an evidence-based, methodical, and organised 10-Step RCA approach that they may use inside their organisation. The training course addresses a modern practical approach to problem solving in maintenance and operations management and is based on some of the most recent research in the field.
This includes RCA principles to clearly define the problem, thorough analysis supported by evidence, creating a specifiic corrective action plan for implementing the solutions and monitoring the effectiveness of those corrective actions. Delegates will be enabled to improve the performance of their operation with practical, techniques that are based on these principles.
By attending this training course, delegates will be able to understand the following:
- Understand RCA terminology, goals, benefits, and stakeholders
- Define problem-solving models used for root cause analysis, including 8D, PDCA, and DMAIC
- Build and manage RCA project teams successfully
- The 10 steps of RCA, including: Cause Identification, Data collection & Analysis, Identify and select Solutions, Implement and Evaluate.
- Practical exercises of the Top 7 analytical tools, including Cause-and-effect, 5Whys, FMEA, 8D and DMAIC
- Assess and work with various data collection plans and methods, as well as data charts and control charts
- Aid production to achieve TAKT and Cycle times
- Implement problem-solving techniques (poka-yoke, multi-voting, etc.) and plan, manage, and verify change
- Case Studies will be provided and worked through with delegates in a separate workbook supplied
MODULE 1: RELEVANT BACKGROUND TO RCA
Definition and Purpose of Root Cause Analysis
Core principles that guide effective root cause analysis
How do we to Stop Problems Happening?
What Root Cause Analysis will disclose
Metrics for RCA
MODULE 2: RCA & PROBLEM SOLVING FUNDAMENTALS
RCA: Problem Solving processes and Quality Management
Data sources & collection of emperical data
Introduction to the Top 7 Problem Solving Techniques
MODULE 3: TEAMWORK AND TEAM MANAGEMENT IN RCA
Teamwork & Team Management groups.
Team Development Process
Management & Team Responsibility
MODULE 4: MULTIPLE CAUSES AND TYPES OF ACTION
Why do failures occur?
The effect of Failure
The 5 Whys
MODULE 5: HUMAN ERROR AND INCIDENT ANALYSIS
The Human Factor & Causes of Human Error
Solutions for Human Errors
Improving Corrective Action
MODULE 6:THE RCA PROCESS
Introduction to the RCA Process
When to Apply the RCA Process
Step 1: Define the Problem
Step 2: Understand the Process
MODULE 7: IDENTIFY POSSIBLE CAUSES
Step 3: Identify Possible Causes
Failure Mode and Effect Cause Analysis (FMECA)
Types and Usage of FMECAs
FMECA Procedure & Calculations
Pareto Analysis – 80/20 Principles
Human Reliability Analysis
FMECA: Controlling the Hazards
Using the Flowchart for Causes
Kepner-Tregoe Problem Solving and Decision Making
Barrier Analysis: Put barriers in place to prevent incidents
Multiple barriers: The Swiss Cheese Model
Using Brainstorming & the Cause-and-Effect Diagram for Causes
Practical Case Study
MODULE 8: COLLECT THE DATA
Step 4: Collect the Data
Types of Data
Application to Apparent Cause Analyses and Root Cause Analyses
Tips for Conducting RCA Investigation Interviews
Additional Tools for High-Frequency Problems
Overall Data-collection Plan
MODULE 9: ANALYSE THE DATA
Step 5: Analyse the Data
Tools for Low-Frequency Data
Additional Tools for High-Frequency Data
Identifying Root Causes
MODULE 10: IDENTIFY POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
Step 6: Identify Possible Solutions
Timing of Recommendations
Levels of Recommendations
Types of Recommendations
Assessing Benefit/Cost Ratios
Step 7: Select Solution(s) to Be Implemented
Tools to Assist the Decision-Making Process
Selling the Plan
MODULE 11: IMPLEMENT, EVALUATE AND INSTITUTIONALIZE
Step 8: Implement the Solution(s)
Design the Program
Develop the Program
Starting the Implementation Process
Step 9: Evaluate the Effect(s)
Monitor the Program’s Performance
Improve the Program
Step 10: Institutionalize the Change
MODULE 12: ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE
Resistance to Change
Content versus Process Knowledge
This course runs for 3 days.
Our Road Cause Analysis – Advanced Problem-Solving is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
Delegates should represent a wide range of personnel in the organisation who are involved in, or dependent on, effective maintenance asset management. These should include:
- Maintenance Artisans, Supervisors, Planners & Managers
- Logistics Supervisors & Managers
- Plant Managers & Engineers
- Project managers and supervisors
- Risk Management Professionals
- Financial Managers
- Quality assurance and control professionals
- Operations & maintenance personnel
- Health, safety, and environmental professionals
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training