Advanced Road Construction
Road building, in its most basic form, entails laying asphalt, concrete, or other materials to provide a smooth surface for vehicles. But, as we all know, it’s far more complicated than that. Road building entails numerous phases, each of which is a complicated enterprise in and of itself.
To efficiently build plans for these projects, engineers must consider the sharpness of curves, the incline of hills, drainage, location, traffic volume, and many other aspects. This training provides technical insight on how these are planned, project designed, constructed and maintained.
By attending this training course, delegates will be able to understand:
- The different types of road layers, structures and slope protection.
- Five basic stages in Road Construction planning and development
- Fundamentals of geometric design
- Earthwork: Measurements, setting out of earth work, computation of areas
- Earthmoving Equipment Permissible axle loads, Requirements & Availability
- Subgrade materials: properties & tests, selection, requirements of bituminous mixes
- Types of drainage structures and their uses: Subsurface, Catch-water & Miter drains
- Culverts and their gradient and angles
- The Construction Process Execution: Layer and finish works
- Road maintenance activities & optimum timing
- Reducing the safety risk during road construction
MODULE 1: ROADWAY CHARACTERISTICS & FUNCTION
• History of Roadway Engineering
• Road Classification
• The Road Pavement Structure: Revision
• Types of pavement in road construction
• Pavement Surface Characteristics
MODULE 2: PLANNING AND PRE-CONSTRUCTION OF ROAD WORK
• Planning Requirements
• Preparation and Planning Scheme of a New Road
• Stages in Planning Construction of a new road
• Content of the Preliminary Report
• Site Investigation
• Survey work and setting out
MODULE 3: ROAD CONSTRUCTION DESIGN
• What is Road Construction Design?
• Design Criteria
• Key steps in Road Construction Design
• Geometric design
• Drainage Design
• Selecting suitable pavement materials in road design
• Create detailed Road Construction plans
• Presentation of the Geotechnical Investigation Report
MODULE 4: EARTHWORK OPERATIONS & MACHINERY
• Earthwork Operations
• Excavation equipment
• Construct Embankments
• The Embankment Construction Process
• Side Slope Operation
MODULE 5: ROAD CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND TESTING
• Categories of road construction materials
• Effects on Soil
• Raw material used as Road Aggregate
• Functions of Bituminous materials
• Sources of Bituminous Binders
MODULE 6: HIGHWAY DRAINAGE CONCEPTS & WORKS
• Definition and importance
• Effects of improper Drainage
• Highway Drainage Requirements
• Side drains
• Sub-surface drainage
• The role of Sub-surface Drainage:
• Control of Seepage Flow
• Control on Capillary Rise
• Cross Drainage Works
MODULE 7: CONSTRUCTION OF FLEXIBLE PAVEMENT
• Definition & Introduction
• Structure of Flexible Pavement
• Functions of Flexible Pavement
• Flexible Pavement Construction Process
MODULE 8: ROAD MAINTENANCE
• Maintenance Operation
• Road Upgrading
• Road Maintenance Activities
MODULE 9: SAFETY REGULATIONS IN ROAD CONSTRUCTION
• Good Practices in Health and Safety
• Safety engineering
• Road construction Safety Plan
• Safe Site Practices
MODULE 10: ROAD CONSTRUCTION QUALITY ASSURANCE & AUDITING
• Definitions and Key Components: Quality Policy, Control, Improvement & QMS
• Steps involved in Road construction Quality Assurance
MODULE 11: PROJECT MANAGEMENT IN ROAD CONSTRUCTION
• Key components and steps in Road Construction projects
• The Project Managements steps in more detail:
• Required Skills for Road Project Managers
• The Project Scheduling Process
• Road construction Project Closeout
• Case Study: Road Project Management Plan
This workshop runs for 3 days
Our Advanced Road Construction is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
This training course is suitable to a wide range of professionals but will greatly benefit:
- Persons who wish to broaden their knowledge and understanding of aspects of road construction and maintenance
- Municipal workers out of various sections who must start to understand road construction and maintenance
- Civil Consulting Engineers/Technicians
- Construction Inspectors and Supervisors
- Road Maintenance Supervisors
- Relevant Government employees/departments
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training