Maintenance Planning And Scheduling
Effective & Reliable (Lean) Maintenance is no longer optional to
be competitive in the fast pace global business world. Lean
planning and scheduling contribute significantly to the following:
• Reduced maintenance cost. Avoiding over insurance on
• Improved utilization by reducing the effects of the 3
demons; defects; delays and deviations.
• Waste elimination and cost reductions due to “uptime”
(first time right).
• Improved people and motivation leading to internal &
external customer satisfaction.
• Improved management & leadership; resulting in greater
• Improved quality of maintenance work regarding man;
machine; methods & materials.
• Inventory reduction and production improvement in TAKT
time; Cycle time; and Standard time.
This uniquely developed course focuses on waste elimination;
equipment reliability; FMEA; Planning; Scheduling and Shutdown
Management. Our comprehensive soft copy templates are Excel
& Kaizen based and introduces you to best practice maintenance planning and scheduling methods. Delegates bring their laptops;
upload over 20 templates, work on them in groups; and leave the
training empowered to go and implement in their workplace.
Laptops require Windows 2003 – 10 and only basic knowledge of
Excel; WORD and Power Point. All templates are provided on a
memory stick. They are simplified and easy to use during and
after by the delegates.
- The objectives of this course include an understanding of:
• History; present and future of maintenance.
• What is lean maintenance – video and group work.
• The 12 types of maintenance as developed by the facilitator.
• The Purpose and Role of Maintenance Planning and Scheduling; including practical’s.
• Planning and Maintenance Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
• Maintenance Effectiveness Indicators (MTBF; ME; MTTR etc.)
• The Maintenance Planning Work Process.
• Standardizing Planning and Scheduling Procedures.
• Equipment Refurbishment Decisions and Costs.
• Elements of Sound Scheduling.
• Staging Parts and Tools; What, Where and Who to stage, the process of staging; group
work and exchanging ideas.
• Work Scheduling & Job Sequencing group discussions.
• Manpower Scheduling and Resources Scheduling.
• Measurement of Maintenance effectiveness with Metrics.
The People Side of Planning; 12 Motivation tips.
Specific Planning Advice to go along with a CMMS database.
Effective Shutdown Execution; examples out of industry.
The Overall Objectives of this course includes:
• Minimizing the idle time (tool time) of maintenance workers.
• Maximizing the efficient use of work time, material, and equipment; out with the old and in with the new.
• Maintaining the operating equipment at a responsive level to the need of production in terms of delivery schedule and quality. Aid production to achieve TAKT and Cycle times.
• Determine the correct load on machines and equipment – eliminate overload or under
load. This leads to a correct make or buy decision on the strategic management level.
• Use maintenance as an effective method of cost reduction and improving uptime. •
• Maintenance saves money.
• Make the entire facility more efficient in all areas.
• Practical exercises of the different tools to help delegates find the methods that are the
easiest for them or those that work. best under certain conditions (Project Management Tools)
• Overview of Shutdown Management
• Conditions for Successful Shutdowns
• Shutdown work identification
• Shutdown work scope
• Pre-shutdown work
• Sources of shutdown work
• General shutdown checklist
Basic Excel Templates – Various
• Gantt; PERT; Budget; Fault Reports; RCA etc.
• The ratio of theory to practical is: 30% theory; 70% practical; including working on soft
• Case Studies will be provided and worked through with delegates in a separate workbook
DAY 1: MAINTENANCE, FAILURE, RELIABILITY,
Maintenance A – Z:
• What is maintenance? History; Present; Future.
• What is lean maintenance?
• What Planning mainly is and what it is not.
• The author has developed solutions to the 12 most
critical wastes using a combination of the Toyota
Production System; Kaizen and Lean.
• Quality and Productivity; Effectiveness and Efficiency;
the author has developed easy to use control tools
• Desired Level of Effectiveness including the OEE;
MTTR; MTBF; MA calculations.
• Weibull lifespan and failure prediction.
Maintenance Objectives and Methodologies
• The purpose and objectives of Maintenance explained
in relation to the entire business.
• The Purpose and Role of Maintenance Planning and
Scheduling; considering factors such as capacity;
utilization & Overall Equipment Effectiveness.
• Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA).
• Reliability basics and easy calculations.
• Downtime analysis examples.
• Standardization of all maintenance work.
Strategic Importance of Planning Maintenance
• The Asset Management ‘Journey’
• Choosing a Maintenance Methodology
• Plant and Equipment Life Cycle, Life Cycle Costs / Life
Cycle Profits / Value depreciation
• Equipment Conditions monitoring (trend analysis)
practice on Excel sheets.
• Consideration of Preventive Maintenance, Predictive
Maintenance, and Project Work
• Condition-based Maintenance – 5 Senses.
• Benefits of Work Planning & Scheduling
DAY 2: MAINTENANCE PLANNING
Maintenance Planning and Measurements:
• What is maintenance planning?
• Maintenance Performance Prediction Indicators
• Equipment Performance Indicators.
• The job description of a maintenance planner.
• Job Quality Indicators – What is QC; QA and QM
The Work Planning Process
• Work Order System; Scoping a Job
• PDCA Excel exercises: Prepare the resources
• Engineering Assistance or Reassignment
• Estimating Work Hours and Job Duration
• Purchasing, Storeroom, reserving, and staging
• Special tools; jigs and innovations.
DAY 3: SCHEDULING
Principles of Scheduling
• Skills required for Scheduling
• Site Investigation & Failure History
• The critical path (CPM)
• Bar Charts & Gantt Charts
• Resource smoothing – PERT Calculation
• Managing the Critical Path
• Weekly Scheduling
– Forecasting work hours
– Sorting work orders
– Allocating work orders
• Formal Weekly Schedule Meeting
• Staging Parts and Tools; What, Where and
• Who to stage, the process of staging
• Key concepts in scheduling for outages & Planning
work orders for outages
• Quotas, Benchmarks, and Standards Addressed
• The Scheduling Meeting
• Work Request for a Planned coverage
• The 12 steps to successful scheduling
This workshop runs for 3 days
Our Maintenance Planning And Scheduling is available in a variety of formats to best match your needs
In-House training: We bring the training to your location. Available with customized features created to meet your requirements.
Virtual Training: Delivered totally online, our virtual sessions are designed to keep participants engaged through relevant training, activities for practice, and ongoing reinforcement.
Available on request.
This course is designed for a wide audience:
• Maintenance Artisans: Ready for promotion
• Maintenance Supervisors: Realize their critical role at
implementation level and cooperation with others
• Maintenance Managers: Interfacing with all other
departments for scarce resources. Support from a team
point of view in production; logistics and plant facilities
• Logistics Supervisors & Mangers: In order to recognize the
importance of critical spares; tools and equipment and
agree on a level of safety stock and critical spares
• Plant Managers: They are frustrated with machine
downtime and poor motivation; maintenance – the solution
to capacity; availability and utilization (OEE).
• Plant Engineers: They are in the position to design out
repetitive errors by innovation and creativity.
- Asset Management Masterclass
- Environmental & Social Management Systems
- Fraud Prevention & Anti Corruption Masterclass
- Risk Appetite & Strategy Masterclass
- Governance, Risk and Compliance Masterclass
- Risk based combined assurance
- Leadership and structures of corporate governance
- Corporate Governance – Role of the board
- Corporate governance Fundamental
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Engaging stakeholders to build a sustainable plan
- Advanced enterprise risk management masterclass
- Conducting effective lifestyles audits course
- King IV governance compliance and assurance workshop
- Budgeting Skills for managers.
- Financial Analysis, Planning & Control.
- Government Accounting.
- Government Budgeting Including SCOA.
- Accounting for VAT
- Understanding and analyzing financial statements workshop
- Strategic planning, budgeting and rolling forecast workshop
- Strategic forecasting & projections of financial statements masterclass
- Preparing financial statements and annual reports masterclass
- Project finance and modelling
- Pension fund governance, regulations and best practices.
- Mining TAX and strategy masterclass
- International financial reporting standards (IFRS) &updates
- IFRS 9 International finance reporting standards 9 and expected credit loss
- Business intelligence & analytics for finance professionals
- Advanced Recruitment Analysis & Assessment Workshop.
- Disciplinary Code & Procedure Training.
- Employment Equity Legislation Masterclass.
- HR Processes, Culture & Change Management Training.
- Performance management systems training
- Principles and practices of corporate responsibility
- Union responsibilities in the workplace
- Workplace skills plans & annual training reports
- Mining social & labor planning
- Payrol preparation, analysis and management
- New CCMA rules & latest case law
- Human resources & development personnel management
- Developing & Implementing Electronic Documents & Records Management Systems.
- Pragmatic Approach to Managing Records.
- Basic registry, records & archives management
- Pragmatic approach to managing records
- Records management, library management and inventory
- Principles of records management basic – Level 1
- Records management Intermediate – Level 2
- Advanced records management – Level 3
- Fleet Operations Management Accident Investigation & Report Writing.
- Fundamentals of Stores & Stock Control.
- Logistics & Distribution Management.
- PFMA Supply Chain Management Bid Committees Workshop.
- Stockpile Management Best Practices.
- Strategic Procurement & Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Management Introduction Forecasting & Acquisition Management.
- Tender Advisory Seminar.
- Tendering Procedures & Bid Evaluation.
- Understanding the Amended BBB-EE Codes BEE Fundamentals.
- Advanced Circuit Breaker Operation and Maintenance
- Environmental Engineering for Non-Environmental Engineers
- Contaminated Soil and Groundwater, Assessment and Remediation
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Lean Leadership
- Lean Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
- Mechanical Engineering for Non-mechanical Engineers
- Mineral Process Plant Optimisation Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Mineral Resource Estimation and Process Control of Mineral Processing Systems
- Solar PV System Design
- Structural Engineering for Non-structural Engineers
- Technical Report Writing & Presentation Skills for Engineers & Technical Professionals
- Total Productive Maintenance
- Wastewater Purification and Treatment Course
- Welding Design and Metal Fatigue for Structural Engineers
- Fundamental Hydraulic Theory and Maintenance
- Fundamentals of Mineral Resource Estimation and Valuation of Mineral Projects
- High Voltage Safety Training